These spicy flat buns are made from wheat flour/Atta and not Maida/plain flour so low in calories and healthy too. I have sprinkled some dried basil and oregano on top. You can skip that if you want. Also, I have added almost 6 green chillies to make it quite spicy but you can decrease the chilli quantity.
|Nutritional Information (Approx)||(per serving)|
|[makes 2 braided and 2 round buns]|
|Water||2 & 1/2 cups|
|Active dry yeast||1 teaspoon|
|Wheat flour||4 cups|
|Salt (divided)||2 teaspoons|
|Onion chopped finely||1 small|
|Coriander leaves chopped finely||1/2 cup|
|Green chillies chopped finely||6|
|Mint leaves chopped finely||1/4 cup|
|Dried oregano and basil (optional)||2 teaspoons|
* Warm 1/2 cup of water and dissolve 2 teaspoons of sugar/honey and then add yeast. Keep it in a warm place for 10 minutes.
* In a mixing bowl, mix wheat flour and salt. Add the active yeast mixture to the wheat flour mixture and mix well. Add water to the wheat flour mixture and knead it to a dough. Let the dough be the consistency of a roti dough. Knead the dough for 5-6 more minutes, cover with a damp cloth and keep it in a warm place for 2 hours.
* After 2 hours, the dough will be doubled to it's size. Knead the dough again for 3-4 minutes and add chopped onion, green chillies, coriander leaves, a bit more salt and chopped mint leaves.
* Mix and knead the dough again til the dough is mixed well.
* Line a baking plate with a baking sheet or aluminium foil and coat it with some oil. Apply some oil to your hands and shape the dough to the shape of your choice. You can either roll it to a round ball or braid it. I made 2 braided and 2 ball shapes.
* Place the shaped dough on baking plate and place the plate in a warm place for another hour. The dough shapes will almost double in size and flatten.
* Preheat the oven to 350°F. Apply oil on the buns and sprinkle dried Oregano and basil. Bake the buns at 180 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
* Serve hot with or without a bowl of hot soup/stew.