You may be wondering about "Flour frosting" but trust me, this is the easiest frosting you will ever make. There is nothing that can go wrong with this frosting and you will not even need cream. This cake with no-butter chocolate and no- cream frosting is lesser in calories and tasted amazing. The moment Naveen tasted this, he gave a big thumbs up and I felt as though I rule the world.
It was Naveen's Birthday on August 1 and I wanted to bake a cake. This is the first Birthday cake I ever made. Because of my "Being healthy" craze, I do not bake a lot of cakes. Buying a piece of cake and getting a cheat meal over with it, always sounds good for me. However, Birthday is no good without a Birthday cake right? I knew you would agree with me.
I had to plan for recipe for my first Cake. Well, everybody does chocolate cake and I had to make something different. Coffee is Naveen's favorite flavor so I planned for Coffee cake. Now, to think about frosting, chocolate frosting will be great but what is new about that? Long time ago, I had heard that you can make frosting out of flour. I flipped through pages of my cookbook but no recipe for flour frosting. I called my friend in Delhi who is obsessed with baking and got the recipe.
I was quite excited about this frosting though skeptical and it turned out to be very soft. It is great for anything! cakes, cup cakes, cookies.. you name it! Oh yea, I forgot to tell you about the chocolate filling. I made it just as a backup for the flour frosting, if didn't work out. It is a simple no-butter chocolate Ganache. The recipe may look very lengthy but believe me, If I can do it, anybody can do it. It is that easy! That was a lot of talk, wasn't it? I will start off with the recipe right away.
|Ingredients [For a 6 inch cake]|
|(I made 2 cakes. You can double the quantity if you plan to make only 1)|
|Plain flour/Sifted flour||1 cup|
|Instant coffee powder||2 teaspoons|
|Baking powder||2 teaspoons|
|Baking soda/fruit salt||1 teaspoon/2 teaspoons|
|Vanilla essence||1/4 teaspoon|
* Beat egg, butter, milk and sugar using mixer or a blender, then add Vanilla essence.
* In a separate bowl, Sieve and mix the dry ingredients; Flour, Coffee powder, baking powder and Fruit salt.
* Add the mixed dry ingredients to egg mixture and mix well.
* Pour the batter in a lined and oiled cake mold. Preheat oven to 360 F and bake the cake at 180 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Make sure to insert a fork or tooth pick to check if cake is cooked evenly.
* I made 2 batches of cake so that I can fill them in the middle and make it a layer cake. You can modify it the way you like.
For Flour frosting
|[Makes 1/2 cup of frosting]|
|Vanilla essence||1/2 teaspoon|
* Take off the heat, add Vanilla essence. Let the mixture cool and chill it in refrigerator.
* Take out the chilled frosting and blend it with butter in high speed for a minute. The flour frosting is ready.
* Chill the frosting till it is time to assemble the cake.
For Chocolate Ganache
|[Makes 1/2 cup of ganache]|
|Milk||a little less than 1/2 cup|
|Sugar||2 tablespoons or more|
|Chocolate chips||1/2 cup|
* For chocolate Ganache, Mix milk and sugar in a pot and heat it in low flame. once the sugar is completely dissolved, take off the heat and then add chocolate chips. Mix well and refrigerate it.
To Assemble the cake:
* Let the cakes cool completely before cutting off the top. Take a long sharp knife and cut the top carefully.
* Place the first cake on the plate in which you choose to assemble and pour chocolate ganache. Using a table knife, coat the filling evenly.
* Place the other cake upside down on the filling carefully.