Cauliflower is called as a Super food not without reason. It is filled with goodness and can also be replaced with potatoes for most of the potato dishes. Some of the health benefits of cauliflower include:
Low in calories: Yes, this is the first thing I check about food. 100 grams of cauliflower contains only 25 calories. Whats more, it contains 0 cholesterol!
Nutritional information: 100 grams of cauliflower contains 8% potassium, 8% dietary fiber, 3% protein, 80% Vitamin c and 10% Vitamin B-6. It is also high in manganese making it a rich source of antioxidants.
Prevents cancer: Cauliflower contains sulfur- containing phytonutrients called glucosinolates and thiocyanates. They cleanse the body and kill cancer causing cells. Cauliflower consumed with turmeric is also known to keep our body away from Colon cancer, prostrate cancer, cervical and ovarian cancers.
Strengthens heart: The anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of cauliflower helps to improve blood circulation and maintaining healthy blood vessels. Cauliflower contains Allicin, a chemical which reduces the risk of strokes.
Brain-booster: The Vitamin-B called Choline present in cauliflower boosts brain cell development and protects against toxins.
Weight loss: Less in calories, rich in nutrients, rich in dietary fiber, Cauliflower is also the next high source of Vitamin C to Citrus fruits. Vitamin C is an anti-oxidant which is important for weight loss. It has no startch content and makes the best vegetable for weight loss that can be eaten in unlimited quantities.
Whew! #:-S that was quite a list, I still could not include all the benefits. Oh yes, there are a lot more benefits of cauliflower but I better stop listing so that I can start off with the recipe.
|Nutritional Information (Approx) (per serving)|
|[Makes 8 fritters]|
|Grated cauliflower||2 cups|
|Wheat flour||2 tablespooons|
|Cumin seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Chilli powder||1 teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 teaspoon|
|Water(if not using egg)||enough to make a batter|
* Combine all the ingredients except oil to make a thick batter . If not adding egg, add just enough water to hold the mixture together.Check seasoning after the mix.
* Heat a frying pan and add little oil. Drop the batter and flatten them like thin pancakes so that they cook through.
* Flip over and cook till then turn golden brown. Serve hot with ketchup or chutney.
* You can also deep fry the fritters for more crispiness.
* Egg is optional but tastes better. You can replace egg with a mashed small potato.
* Some recipes replace wheat flour with Besan (gram flour). It is entirely your choice but actually makes no difference in texture or taste of fritters.